Hi Everyone! This is Tiffany and I am here today on the Chibitronics blog with a simple light up card. This card incorporates Fiber Optic Cables to stretch 1 single LED sticker into multiple light up points on my card. On my card, each fiber optic cable will light up a single star while my main LED sticker will light up my large planet.
Here are the instructions to create my card:
- Use a large circle die to cut out my front panel from black card stock. Used the same die to cut out the shape from my pre-folded card base.
- Used the Mama Elephants Space Bear stamp set to emboss my sentiment and background onto my black card stock. Stamp the floating bear and ballon image onto white card stock and color it with copic markers.
- Took my penknife and create a tiny hole into the middle of 6 stars and cut out the inside of one planet.
- Place my front panel onto my card base and used my pencil to mark each light placement and draw in my light circuit. The LED sticker will be place right under the planet and the battery will be placed towards bottom right.
- Used my small circle die a cut out a hole for my battery.
- Placed a piece of post-it tape on the inside of my card base (for battery change) and tape down the path of my negative copper tape. It should start at the LED light and end in the middle of the post-it tape.
- Create a small strip of 3 layered foam tape and add it above the battery hole. Then tape down the edge of a small circle card stock over the foam tape (creating a lid over the battery. Nest, lay down my positive copper tape starting from the LED light and ending it under my circle lid.
- Take a long strand of 0.75mm fiber optic cable and cut it down to 5 inches strips (6 in total).
- Lay the ends of each strip around the LED light and tape it down using strong clear tape. I also place a couple tiny strip of blue tape to hold longer stands down.
- Test out the circuit and make sure each end of the fiber optic cable lights up.
- Lay down 3 layers of foam tape around my card base. Make sure you don’t trap any fiber optic cables under the foam tape.
- Carefully thread each end of a fiber optic cable though the holes in the background. Slowly pull each strand up while moving the background over the card base. Last, tape it down and add my final decorative element.
I hope you enjoy the tutorial for this card and here is a list of supplies used for this card:
- Chibitronics White LED Lights
- Chibitronics Copper Tape
- Coin Battery
- Fiber Optic Cable (0.75 mm)
- Black Card Stock
- White Card Stock
- Mama Elephant – Space Bear
- 3M Foam Tape
- Post-It Tape