Hi! It’s Kathy Ceceri with an easy origami lotus flower design that lights up thanks to a Chibitronics reed switch and a magnetic lilypad base. Rotate the flower like a knob to turn the Chibitronics LED Circuit Stickers on and off!
This project is simple enough for children to make, but be careful if you use magnets small enough to swallow. I used a disc magnet about the size of a quarter and three times as thick.
Space is kind of tight if you are using 8-inch square origami paper as I did here, so I attached the magnet-on reed switch directly to the battery. To hold the battery in place, I used a loop of conductive tape, sticky-side out. Check out the video below to see how to make your own lotus and add a circuit inside! (If it doesn’t show up, go to https://youtu.be/sP6Y6E6443k)
- 1 Chibitronics reed switch
- 4 Chibitronics white LED Circuit Stickers
- Chibitronics conductive fabric tape
- Chibitronics conductive fabric tape patches
- 1 CR2032 disc battery
- 2 pieces origami paper, at least 8 inches square, double-sided (colored on both sides), such as this
- 1 craft magnet, such as this
- bone folder (or spoon)